Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What's the Bzz: MorningStar Farms

MorningStar Farms Review




I was lucky enough to be invited to the MorningStar Farms BzzAgent Campaign and was given a coupon for a free package of MorningStar Farms products so I could try out their veggie burgers. My product of choice:  

MORNINGSTAR FARMS® SPICY BLACK BEAN BURGERS


These burgers are made with black beans, roasted corn, brown rice, and chili peppers to give them a nice little kick. I went into this trial with a bit of hesitation because I hear "veggie burgers" and think not a burger at all. I think lack of flavor and questionable texture. Even though I was hesitant, I still took my first bite with an open mind because my mommy always taught me to try something once, and if I don't like it, spit it out. 


I cooked the burger in the microwave, threw it on top of a bun, topped it off with tomato slices, pickle slices, and a bit of barbecue sauce, and was BLOWN AWAY by how good it tasted! The burger is full of flavor and the perfect amount of spicy. This product gets an A+ in my book and I definitely recommend you try it. Plus... it comes in at 120 calories per burger (not including bun, condiments, etc.), 4g of fiber to keep you full longer, and only 4g of fat.



While I was at it, I decided to try a few more MorningStar Farms products as well. I had heard good things about the Hickory Barbecue Riblets so I tried those out as well.


As you can see from the picture, the riblets are drenched in barbecue sauce. The best ribs always are, right? The riblets look like meat on the outside and also on the inside when you cut them open. They are less messy because you don't have to worry about gnawing the meat off the bone. These were a great substitute for pork ribs. I asked E to give them a try because he was a total naysayer about them, and even he said you couldn't tell that they were "fake meat" because of all the barbecue sauce. Coming in at 210 calories and 3.5g of fat, these were another win if you are looking for a meat substitute.



I also had a veggie chili recipe that I was hoping to make that called for tofu in the ingredients list. As close as I was to actually using tofu, I just couldn't do it. Instead I picked up some Griller's Recipe Crumbles as a kind of ground beef substitute. This one, unfortunately, did not make a great impression on me. The taste was fine and it cooked up nice and simple. However, I had a hard time getting past the texture of this product. I think it was also a combination of just not loving the chili recipe that I was using. This recipe had TOO much flavor and was entirely too salty for my liking. 


Interested in trying MorningStar Farms products but don't want to pay full price? Ask me for a coupon!

No comments:

Post a Comment